Are you a creative bride looking for something special to top off your big day look? Do you want to add that extra personalized touch straight from the heart? Well, why not take matters into your own hands and make custom wedding hair accessories at home! Using these simple steps and ideas, you will find that creating unique headgear is easier than it looks. Plus, when complemented with the right accessories or gowns -they can help complete any bridal style. So let’s explore how to bring personality into your tiniest details by making beautiful homemade wedding hair accessories!
DIY tips for creating unique hair accessories
- Use a ribbon and barrette to create a bow hair clip: Cut a piece of ribbon to your desired length and tie it in the middle with a knot. Next, affix the bow onto a metal barrette with hot glue, making sure you leave enough slack to create loops on either side.
- String beads onto wire for headbands: For this project, you’ll need several small beads of your choice, along with pliers and wire cutters. Choose two pieces of thick-gauge wire (20 or 22 gauge will do), bend them into an arched shape, and use the pliers to twist their ends together. Next, start threading the beads onto one end of the wires evenly, then twist the ends together to secure them. Finish by bending the arched shape back into a headband and secure it with hot glue or tape.
- Create a vintage-style fascinator: A great way to make your own unique hair accessory is to create a vintage-style fascinator by using an old brooch, veiling, and some lace or trim of your choice. Start by gluing the brooch onto some felt and apply the trim on top in a decorative fashion. Next, take your veiling and cut it into circles of different sizes that you can layer one atop another as desired — you can use frayed edges for texture if desired too. Finally, secure everything with hot glue and finish your handmade fascinator with ribbons and/or feathers.
- Try a beaded ponytail holder: For this craft, you’ll need several small beads of your choice, along with pliers and wire cutters. First, choose two pieces of thick-gauge wire (20 or 22 gauge will do), bend them into an arched shape, and use the pliers to twist their ends together. Next, start threading the beads onto one end of the wires evenly, then twist the ends together to secure them. Finish by bending the arched shape back into a ponytail holder and secure it with hot glue or tape.
- Decorate some bobby pins: You can easily customize bobby pins by gluing on tiny trinkets like charms, beads, or fabric pieces. Place the trinkets onto the bobby pins and secure them with hot glue or a strong adhesive. If desired, you can also paint the metal part of the bobby pin in any color to match your look. Let dry completely before using.
- Make a flower clip: To make this lovely accessory, start by cutting two circles out of felt (or other fabric) that are slightly larger than the size of your desired flower. Then cut frayed petals from a piece of paper and use them to trace shapes onto one circle — ensure you leave enough space between each petal for later folding. Next, carefully cut out these shapes and repeat on the other circle as well. Next, place the two circles together and use a needle and thread to attach them, making sure you place the folded petals in between. Finish off with a button or jewel in the center and secure with hot glue.
- Embellish a headband: This is a fun and easy way to take any ordinary headband and give it flair for special occasions. Start by picking out several small beads, charms, or fabric pieces of your choice — you can even use old earrings for this project. Then glue these decorations onto the band on one side only (leaving enough space between each piece) before adding some ribbons or lace along the other side for a more finished look. Let dry completely before wearing.
- Customize a hat or cap: For this project, you’ll need patches and pins, as well as hot glue and scissors. Start by cutting any excess material from the patches to fit onto the hat/cap before gluing them on with hot glue. Then arrange the pins into a design of your choice and secure with hot glue. Finally, let dry completely before wearing your customized creation!
- Make a knotted headband: To make this chic accessory, start by measuring out two pieces of ribbon long enough to wrap around your head twice when tied in an overhand knot. Next, tie both ends together in an overhand knot and adjust its size accordingly — leaving enough room in the center to pass the other end through. To finish, tie a small bow or knot at the nape of your neck and secure it with hot glue.
- Design your beret: For this project, you’ll need an old wool beret, lace, ribbon, and/or fabric pieces — along with scissors and hot glue. Start by cutting any excess material from the lace before gluing it onto the beret using hot glue. Then arrange any ribbons or fabric pieces into a pattern of your choice before securing them with hot glue too. Finally, let dry completely before wearing your new creation!
Creative ways to design your own wedding hair accessories
- Create a custom fascinator: Make your wedding day look unique with a custom-made fascinator. Choose from feathers, beads, ribbons, or other materials to create an accessory that reflects your style and personality.
- Try a headband featuring fabric flowers: Fabric flowers are simple and elegant—the perfect touch for a rustic outdoor wedding. Create a beautiful headband by stringing together small fabric flowers on wire or elastic.
- Put together an intricate braid crown: Braids have become increasingly popular in bridal hairstyles, so why not take it one step further and make yourself a braided crown? It’s easier than you might think! With the help of online tutorials, you can learn how to weave together intricate plaits and secure them with a headband.
- Design your own tiara: Channel your inner princess on your wedding day with a DIY tiara! Whether you go for an understated silver band or something more blingy, creating this classic accessory is easier than you think. Get creative and add some sparkle with rhinestones or pearls.
- Make a statement with an ornate hair clip: An ornate hair clip will make sure all eyes are on you as you walk down the aisle. Choose from materials like lace, feathers, or fabric and incorporate beads, jewels, or ribbon for added texture. It’s the perfect way to add a hint of glamour to any bridal look.
- Try an elegant headpiece: A classic headpiece is perfect for pulling your wedding look together. Make it your own by adding crystals, pearls, or other embellishments for a touch of sparkle and shine. And remember to choose colors that will complement your dress perfectly!
- Pick out the perfect combs: You don’t need to go over-the-top with hair accessories—sometimes, you need a few simple but elegant combs to create a beautiful hairstyle. Choose from classic metal designs or go for something with a bit more flair, like pearl-encrusted combs or delicate floral pieces.
- Make the most of barrettes: Barrettes can be used in so many different ways—not just to keep your hair out of your eyes. Get creative and use them to secure a braid, pull back bangs or even create a glamorous up-do for your wedding day look. They’re available in various shapes, sizes, and materials, so you’re sure to find something that suits your style!
- Add some shimmer with sparkly clips: If you’re looking for a subtle sparkle to your bridal hairstyle, consider adding some crystal or pearl-encrusted clips. These are perfect for those who want a bit of extra glam but want to stay within the budget.
- Try an ornamental comb: If you’re searching for something more special and unique, why not try an ornamental comb? These are perfect for those who want a truly one-of-a-kind wedding look, as they can be made with the most intricate details and embellishments. They also look great when worn with a low bun or up-do.
No matter what style of hair accessories you choose, take your time to make sure it’s perfect for your big day! With just a few simple items and creativity, you can easily create beautiful pieces that will ensure your wedding look is completely unique.